niedziela, 6 listopada 2016

Monyo- American Beauty, Invisible Bikini, Hop Harvest, Flying Rabbit

Ok, international stout day is over, time to try some hungarian beers again!

American Beauty- American Pale Ale- Monyo Brewing

APA at 5,6% abv, 13,3 plato, 32 IBU, hopped with Warrior, Mosaic, Chinook.
To be honest, I'm not a fan of Warrior hop, it gives a little harsh bitter, but lets see.

Nice aroma from the bottle. Very sweet, caramel and very sweet fruits, than sweet citrus.

Light yellow almost clear beer, a lot of carbonation moving up the glass. White head, pretty big, but with medium and big bobbles.

Aroma from the bottle was pretty good. Unfortunately this from glass... not so much. I'm getting a weird, unpleasant smell. Something like... cat fur. Or maybe it's a little bit of sulfur? Not sure, it's either sulfur or oxidation, in both case, it's not pleasant. Also, I'm picking a little bit of green citrus. Mosaic. And smell of wet grain.


Taste:
Very high sweetnes for this style. Very malty, grainy, biscuity. Light bitter. A little bit of fruity flavours, mainly white grapes and citrus.

Palate: appears to me as weirdly full bodied. It's nice, easy drinking. Medium to high saturation.

Overall:
The aroma from the bottle was annonced a real hop bomb. Unfortunately, not the case. Aroma is not totally bad, but with a little defect, it might be even a grainy character of this beer, this unpleasant smell. Like wet grain, wet paper, maybe, just maybe a little bit of sulfur. But probably oxidation.

Taste is... pretty good, but I'm lacking a hop in it. It's way more sweet and malty than hoppy. Double the hop, triple the excitment!
Good sessionable beer. Way better beer story than eurolager, in fact the malty side of this beer is pretty similar to good light lagers, and you get a little bit of nice mosaic hop character to it.
It's a kind of beer that I would like as a drink to my meal.
I prefer dry hopbombs, but this pale ale is still pretty good I have to admit.

Invisible Bikini- Porter- Monyo Brewing

English porter at 5,5% abv, 13,1* Plato, 28 IBU

Aroma from bottle: a lot of chocolate, more like hot chocolate to drink. Some red, dark fruits.

Dark brown, cloudy beer. A lot of sediment on the bottom of bottle, easily get to the glass. Two fingers of beige head, small and medium bubbles.

Aroma: Chocolate mainly, milk chocolate, caramel, roasted malts, hint of ash. Sweet, milky thing, almost like vanilla. Smells good.

Taste: Light sweet, light sour. Nice dose of chocolate. Light sour from roasted malts. Nicely balanced.

Palate: Light bodied, medium saturation, high as for porter; very easy drinking, sessionable beer.

Overall: Chocolate, chocolate biscuit, chocolate, more chocolate... with light body it would be easy to get a few of this down.
It's different approach to porter (or stout) than most populars beers in this style in Poland. We love thick, full bodied stout and porters. Creamy, oily fuckers.
This beer wont kick you out of your shoes, dont have this palate of melted chocolate, but there's a lot of chocolate in taste, it's well made, very sessionable dark beer, perfect to get pint or two or ten in your tapbar.
Good stuff.

Hop Harvest- "Harvest" IPA- Uradalmi/Monyo

Ok, now it's time for the beer that I'm looking after the most. It's "Harvest IPA", so I quess it's wet hopped IPA. I wonder about it, because hops were Magnum, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial. So, are all this hops added as wet hop cone? Are they grown in Hungary or imported? If imported, where do they get them?
In Poland we have some hop plantations, we have old types of hop, like Marynka or Lubelski, we have some new wave polish hops like Sybilla or Iunga, we have even US hops grown in Poland like Cascade PL or hops that got bring back to life, like Tomyski hop. But this bunch of american hop, if it's all grown in hungary would be very, very impressive. And if it's imported, it's pretty impressive as well, it's not easy to get wet hop.

Ok, so it's a wet hop IPA at 6,4% ABV, 15,6* Plato, and 40 IBU. (Only 40 IBU?)

Wow. Smell from the bottle is awsome. Sharp, green, grassy. A little bit of citrus and pineapple as well.

Hop Harvest is a dark gold/light amber in color, almost clear beer, with big white head that includes small and medium bobbles. I got some lacing on the glass.

I dont know why, but in Monyo beers aroma from bottle is way, way better than from the glass. And I'm not using shitty glasses. Damn.

But. Aroma. There's something slightly unpleasant, but I'll get to this later. You get some caramel. Some floral notes. Candied orange. A little bit of hoppy, resin-like spice note. This unpleasant note is probably a little bit of sulfur, and let's say I can forgive it, since the beer should be young. Definitly, more herbal notes than you would usually get from this hops. Even hint of flowers.

Light sweet, light bitter. Caramel, biscuits, and milky, buttery note of diacetyl, but very light. Herbal notes from hops. Light orange-ish notes.

Palate: medium bodied, medium saturation, again so easy drinking.

Overall: At this point I have almost made my opinion on Monyo beers. They almost all appears to me as light, incredibly drinkable, well made beers, but not as intence in taste as I am used to and as I would like it to be. We'll see if flying rabbit AIPA will be different.
But lets say a few words about Harvest IPA first.
You definitly get the fresh hop character, esspecially in aroma from the bottle, it was outstanding. In aroma from glass it was average, in taste... well lets say it was balanced with malts.
I mentioned a little bit of sulfur, and diacetyl, but it was just a hint of it, you'll get it only if you'll search for it, also, these two things are basicly in every young beer, and wet hopped beer best is fresh, so I can get why are this present.
My main wish: add more hop! It's so softly hopped! I've drunk so many pale ale's that were way more hopped than this IPA. Esspecially with this awsome fresh hop character.

So, yet another good, well made, increadible drinkable beer from Monyo, but yet again, for me, not enough hop, not enough taste. It's beer that is really, really good, that I would love to get a few pint glasses at bar, but at the same time, It's not a beer that made me say "wow", it's not a beer that I would remember- not intence enough for me.

Flying Rabbit- American IPA- Monyo Brewing

Last but not least, and american style IPA, coming at 6,5% abv, 16,3* Plato, 61 IBU.

I didnt even started yet, but looking at the numbers my inner hop head started to yell "more hop, why only 61 IBU?". You know, with 16 Plato and only 6,5% abv you can still get pretty malty beer, and I really prefer West Coast style IPA, dry as fuck. Well, to be honest, I prefer New  England IPA even more, but you can count beers in this style made in Europe on fingers. Like... two in Poland so far (if I'm not mistaken), and a I heard about a few from England and Scandinavia? Ok, enough shittalk, time to give this badass a crack and pour it to proper IPA glass.

Smell from the bottle- hell yeah, I wish time from glass will be so good aroma as well. You get this very sweet, jam-like aroma, when caramel, citrus, and tropical fruits make this ultra sweet, super pleasant mashup- reason why we all love american IPA's so badly.

Dark amber in color, hazy beer, with best head I've got on Monyo beers so far, one finger of small bubbled foam with little bit of lacing on the glass.

Aroma from glass- well, here you get a lot of caramel, but also nice load of tropical fruits. Aw, I checked the hops, It's only magnum and citra, so I quess only Citra for aroma. Yeah, you definitly can get this tropical fruits from Citra. I know that name of the hop suggests more citrus notes, but believe me, single hops on this hop smells like tropical fruits after carwreck. Like a tones of squashed mangos, oranges, pineapples, and other.
Aroma here might not be THAT good, but it's still very, very nice. Maybe too caramely, but good.

Taste: light sweet medium bitter. Light biscuity, caramel flavours, also very light orange, tropical fruits. A little bit of resin in bitterness.

Palate; Medium bodied, very smooth, low to medium saturated beer. Once again, icredibly drinkable.

Overall: I was afraid that this beer will be too malty. But truth is, it's not hoppy enough for me. Yea, it got some bitterness, it's nicely balanced, but I wish more that there was more citrus, tropical fruits, esspecially in the taste.

Good, sessionable IPA.

So, I've finished my week with Monyo Brewing, time for a little conclusion.
All of this 6 beers that I've tried were good. If I have to name the best one, it would be summer syndrome, light, very citrusy, refreshing beer. Excellent for summer. American Beauty, Invisible Bikini, Hop Harvest, Flying Rabbit- this all are good beers, with small defects like oxidation in American Buty or sulfur in Hop Harvest, but really not that much, well made, incredibly drinkable, I would easily get a few pints of this beers to accompany my meals or in pub. My main objection, there were not intence enough for me, esspecially in case of hop flavours and aromas. You may say that more intence beer gets, it becomes less drinkable, and in some cases that's truth, but I've drunk some beers that raped my palate with intencity of bitter or sour and I wanted to get another sip immediatly. And, there was Black Alligator, decent Belgian beer, a little bit alcoholy, with dark chocolate and raspberry flavours. Main defect was that it was too boozy, too alcoholy, but it was still pretty good.

I have to say, beers from Monyo are probably way easier to love for regular people, since they are not so intence. But, at the same time, they are not as attractive for beergeeks and hopheads like me. Good beers for everybody, but I doubt if it would be outstanding for anyone, at least these that I've tried. In Poland I think most of craftbeers are made for this type of people like me, so we get all of the hardly smoked or hopped for 100+ IBU stuff, even pale ale's are often hopped to the roof, and you get tones of beers with weird stuff like herrings or horseredish, so regular peoples when they try it they are like "what the fuck just burned my palate".

But, as I said many times, really well made beers, worth to try if you'll be (or if you're from) Hungary, get a pint or two or ten of them and enjoy!



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz